Thursday, January 1, 2009

Clearly Written Instructions

As a technical writer, I struggle understanding what my clients and associates often write instructing me what to do. I believe they try to save time without thinking out clear instructions, so I spend needless time on the phone trying to get out of them what they could have presented clearly in an e-mail. When you want something done, it's essential you write your directions clearly.

  • State your objective. Tell what you want done and set a deadline.
  • Use bullets to list important information that should be included in the work.
  • Use numbers for steps that need to be taken to complete the work.
  • Once you deliver a clear explanation to the person you are hiring, the remaining portion of the process will be much smoother.

1 comment: