Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Avoid the Noise

I can't begin to tell you how frustrating some Web sites are. In the attempt to make them cute, you sometimes make them miserable to come to. Here's what I mean:

If you post something on your site for someone to read, keep the distractions to the minimum. A white background with black letters is the easiest on the eyes. If a site has a black background with pink font, I'm leaving. Your writing should be more important than the appearance of your site. Make it easy for the reader to enjoy.

Adding background music and assuming your reader enjoys the same music that you like is a huge mistake. Number one, if I don't like the music, I am going to turn it down or leave. Number two, it may interfere with load time which may cause me to lose interest. Number three, it's interfering with my comprehension of what you just wrote, and I am not taking as much from your site as I should.

If your Web site is about content, avoid the noise.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the advice.
    www.freedoms-fight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!!!! really..how about my blog??? did u like it? great advice i hope my blog isnt meets your standard, yet u r completely correct as well... hmp! but anyway i tag u in my blog i hope u would participate,,i would wholeheartedly appreciate it...plz? thanx...hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe,you are right. It is difficult to read the words on a black background.

    ReplyDelete